Monday, April 20, 2009

"M" is for Monday, Mary Kay, & most importantly: MONEY

What a slow paced, lazy Monday. Ian was "given" the day off since he was late (again) for work. So he is still sleeping. It's 8:20 am as I type this out (since I am adding this first paragraph to what I had posted earlier this morning) and even Aiden is still asleep. He never sleeps past 7 so I had to go upstairs just to make sure he was still breathing. He was. Poor little guy is still sick so maybe that's why he's so tired lately. I really don't know what to do with myself since I can't get my day going as usual. Ian has a sore throat so he didn't want coffee. Everyone is asleep so I can't make breakfast. My dishes and laundry are all done from yesterday. All I have left is to spend time on the computer for now and for some reason it feels wrong. I feel like I should be doing something more important. I guess I'll printout some fliers to promote my new business.

I have to admit, I was terrified to my bones about working out in society again. What if I don't make any money working for myself? What if I don't reach my goals and ultimately let myself down? Will I still have time for my most important job: my family?

I had so many concerns and was starting to feel like I had made the wrong decision. I know there are a lot of work from home jobs out there. Some of them are successful - but most fail. I didn't want to be a part of the negative statistics. Yesterday I sat down during Aiden's first nap and organized everything I had been given as part of my starter kit and then I practiced my presentation. I was exceptional as a public speaker at my last job so that was not an issue for me. A little more confident, I called my sister and asked if she would like to host a party for me to practice. Mary Kay provided me with tons of samples and a whole kit for giving free facials so I had the means, just not the experience. She agreed and I drove to Phoenix (again) to practice.

*On a side note: MK enables me to be my own business so I can write off gas, business dinners, cell phone bill, office supplies, any work clothes I purchase, and my expenses to buy my products.

I ran my whole presentation and tried all of my products on her and she was in love. My step sister Sammie was there too, with her friend Lilia, as was my mom and grandmother. All-in-all... I made $200 on my first day as a Mary Kay consultant! The best part? It only took me an hour for the free facials and my presentation. $200 per hour is great in my book. So, with a little new-found confidence under my belt, I decided to be bold and see who else would be interested in hostessing a Mary Kay party (if you hostess it, I can give out $25 worth of free product to you) and just like that - I have 2 appointments set for May. Each girl who is hostessing is going to be bringing 3-4 friends along so my potential income is great! I am so excited about this opportunity. We don't need the extra money but I think it will be nice to buy Ian his birthday and Christmas presents with my own earned money; not his.

Onto my usual blog stuff:

Last night we were invited to stay at my Mom's house for Steak and Au Gratin Potatoes so needless to say, I once again did not get to make dinner. I know most people would love that but I enjoy cooking. It's somewhat of an outlet for me. I can disappear into my kitchen and dissolve into my own little world of cookware and spices. I truly love it. "Well why don't you become a Chef?" Simple. If I HAVE to cook (things I am forced to cook vs. the things I like to cook) I'm afraid I would eventually come to resent cooking. As it stands now, I don't have to cook; I get to cook. I can choose my favorite ingredients, spices, consistencies. All of that freedom would potentially be taken away from me if I choose to become a chef.
Tonight I will be cooking though. I am determined! So to anyone wanting to make dinner plans with us: unless you will be dining at our house, it will have to wait. On the menu: Pizzawiches! I'll post a link with the recipe before tonight!

Have a great Monday today!

No comments:

Post a Comment