Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dog Food

I LOVE saving money any way that I can. Today I was going through my shopping receipts to find the item that happened to be the most expensive. The most recurring culprit? Dog food. That's right ladies and gents.. my 2 dogs go through over 80lbs of dog food every month. At $20 per 40lb bag, that adds up! That's almost $500 a year just to feed them! So I decided something must be done. Surely I can make a healthy dog food all by myself and save a few dollars along the way. Right? And so my quest for knowledge began. I did a bunch of research on nutritional needs, types of food and recipes.
I ended up baking my own batch up. Time to see if they like it! Sadly, it isn't cheaper to make your own dog food if you use quality ingredients. I used chicken breast. So I guess I'll just have to pay Pedigree to keep manufacturing my dog food. Some day I hope to find an alternative.

**EDIT**
The dogs did love the dog food and I have found some other recipes to try that look more friendly to my wallet. I'll play around with a few of them to see what works and what doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment