Friday, August 6, 2010

Superhero Tools & Appliances

I have been told many times that what I do is "amazing" and I am always caught off guard by this statement. Yes, it is flattering, but I don't feel overwhelmed by my full time schedule of kids, errands, and chores. It somehow all stays fairly manageable and today I finally took the time to figure out the answer to "just how do you do it?" My conclusion? Superhero appliances. Yes they exist. I have and utilize many tools on a daily basis that save me tons of time and make my job as a wife and mother so much easier. I decided to pay a little tribute to my superhero tools and appliances so here they are in order of usefulness.





Ridgid Wet/Dry Vacuum -


This is by far the most useful thing in the entire world. A shop vac. Not just any shop vac, the best one I have ever used, ever. Initially I was upset that Ian had spent $50 on a shop vac when we already had a Dirt Devil that kind of did the job (as long as I swept first) but after using it and finding SEVERAL other uses for this little machine, I fell in love. If my house catches on fire and I can only save one thing (aside from family) I would save this. The entire 1st story of my house is tile, even the master bedroom. Thanks to a nice long 20 foot power cord, a 7 foot long hose, and a well placed outlet, I can vacuum all of downstairs quickly and without stopping. The vacuum is extremely light and easy to carry (great to vacuum stairs!) and has a 4 Gallon container on it so I don't have to empty it very often and it even sports a 5 horse power motor. Needless to say, this baby will suck up everything from dirt and hair to half a peanut butter sandwich and anything in between! It's a wet vac as well (just have to pull the filter off) so I can clean stains out of carpet and couches. When angled correctly, it cleans the dried on food off of my high chairs and trays and has attachments for EVERYTHING. Here are all of the things I use my Ridgid for now:


Vacuuming Tile
Vacuuming Stairway
De-gunking High Chairs
De-shedding the Dogs
Cleaning out the Car
Treating Upholstry for Stains
Dusting Ceiling Fans
Insect Disposal
Snack & Mealtime Clean-up (gets all the big pieces too!)
Cleaning the Garage
De-gunking the Stove top
...and more!





It even has a blower feature on it so if I desired, I could use it to blow the leaves and seed pods from the front yard. As well as the dirt that collects on the patios. The Ridgid does it all which is why it is at the top of my list. It truly is a MUST have!






Ninja Master Prep -
This little guy is number 2 on my list simply because I cannot live without it. I use it between 15-20 times per day, every day. Yes... every day. I mostly use it for making snow out of ice and cooking. The snowy ice (which I am completely addicted to) is a staple in my house and helps me maintain my sanity (and waistline) however this thing also turns yucky vegetables into a nice creamy puree which makes it easy to hide in our meals. It also chops and dices anything I put into it making dinner time a quick and easy process.

Laptop -
My laptop makes the cut because I use it daily to help me maintain my organization. I use Microsoft Excel for everything: Grocery Lists, Budgets, Calendars, To-Do's, Reminders, etc. I have everything saved and organized and it helps to keep me on track in life.

Internet -
This one is a no-brainer. I use the internet to find excellent discounts on things my family needs and as my only connection to the outside world, it helps maintain a degree of sanity.


Steamer Bags -
LOVE THESE! I can chop up veggies, toss them in the bag and microwave them for 2 minutes. Instantly done and perfectly steamed veggies, every time! It takes a good 10-15 minutes out of my cooking time as well.

Kirby Classic Vacuum - I was given this vacuum by my Grandma and I am so thankful! Yes, it's old. Yes, it's ugly. But never before have I used a vacuum that has done such a great job on carpet! This vacuum is about 40 years old and can still do a better job than any dirt devil, dyson, or hoover you buy today. I keep this vacuum upstairs (since there is no carpet downstairs) and use it about once a week. I never have to go over any areas more than once and I am confident that it "got it all." Thank you Kirby!

No comments:

Post a Comment