Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Meals, Deals, and Hospital Pills...

Goodness have I missed communicating to the world! I was admitted to Banner Thunderbird Hospital on Sunday because of preterm labor (again) which hadn't stopped Saturday night. When they admitted me I was dialated to 3cm and 50% effaced. I'm not sure why but my baby girls are always in a hurry to get out and start making demands. Little spit fires. So here I sit in this antepartum hospital room hooked up to 4 different IV bags, getting 2 separate shots a couple times a day and enough pills to clog even the most durable garbage disposal. My wonderful family has stepped up to the plate and are taking rotating turns with the kids (who I hope are behaving) and my husband has impressed me most of all. I haven't gotten to see him much since I've been here but I hear he's doing a great job with everything at home and that we have to take care of this week. My cousin Ashley and her husband Kyle along with their daughters Kaylee (2) and Lexi (1) are moving in today and he's been trying to get the house ready for a second family. If I would have forseen my hospital stay I would have left him a detailed checklist and calendar (which I keep neatly stored in my head) to help him with the household duties. My routine keeps things easy and low maintanence but I'm sure he's got it figured out. At least I know he's taking good care of his babies and feeding them (they get loud if you don't) which brings me to meals. I am enjoying being catered to for once. Banner Thunderbird has changed their meal system for their patients. Instead of a nurse coming in and giving you two or three meal options to choose from they now have a detailed room service list that I can create my own meal from and order whenever I like. My diet is unrestricted (thank you Dr. Koon!) so I can order as much of anything I like! Breakfast was a belgian waffle, two turkey sausage links, and an english muffin with some milk and a cranberry juice. Lunch I'll be ordering in about an hour but I'm thinking the glazed chicken and rice pilaf is definitely in the running on this one! It really makes me want to go home and cook. Sadly, if I am released on Wednesday, my orders are strict bedrest with minimal privilages. I can only get up for short bathroom breaks. I think that will be my biggest hurdle. I enjoy being a homemaker and taking care of my house and family. Being there and having someone else do it will be devastating for me. However, I am a mother first and a homemaker second. I will do what needs to be done to make sure baby three can be healthy and safe, even if it means relinquishing the reins on my house for a week or two.
The good thing about being bed ridden and alone is all the time I've had to bond with the Food Network Channel in the wee hours of the night. I have seen so many wonderful meals prepared that I can't wait to try. Robin Miller really has it down right: Chop all veggies and 3lbs of chicken for several meals during the week and store them until needed. Maybe I'll try that. Alex Guarnaschelli also made an awesome chicken soup that I am going to do my best to replicate from memory. Can't wait to get home and get healthy so I can start cooking again!

No comments:

Post a Comment